Ford Model A Pickup Restoration February 2015

I'm still busy with the wiring and I have invested some time in a task which was not planned before.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

These are headlamp sockets. The left one is a reproduction part. On the first view it doesn't look bad but you can see it from a distance, that there will be a guaranteed short circuit when you are using it.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

Much worse is the view form the back side - not more than 0.3 mm free space between the two contacts. I already have enlarged the gap with a small file but I will use the original part on the right hand side which is more save.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

First I removed the old corroded cable.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

Then I drilled out the hole and cleaned it inside, before I soldered the new cable.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

It's assembled again but this time without any risk for a short circuit.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

The next potential risks are the taillights. Here you can see that the cable is stripped too long and therefore is a high risk that it comes into contact with the housing.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

No idea what they were thinking when they made this cable …

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

My version has now a cable with an insulation up to the contact. The soldered contacts at the cable ends are hollow brass rivets.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

The taillights are 'short free' now and ready for installation.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

This view after the modification is much better.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

Next I had to find a good place for my distribution box at the rear side of the car.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

The cables are all in the final position.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

The windshield wiper cable is also fixed with my self-made brackets.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

Christoph has sent me an email lately and stated that he has secured also the headlights … This was a statement where I had to think about and I came to the conclusion, that I had to do this on my car too. But it has to be something invisible and easy to access for a fuse replacement. So I started with this sheet metal.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

This is the final result, a special construction of a dual fuse.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

It will be mounted opposite to the generator, hidden in the U-profile of the frame.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

The access to the fuses would be extremely difficult, and therefore you can swing the fuse case upwards like on the picture, change the fuse and lock it again in the lower position.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

This is the view from above as the fuse is hidden in the frame.

Ford Model A Restoration February 2015

And in this position one can replace the fuses. I still did not say yet what I have planned to secure with these 2 fuses. One fuse is for the headlights and the other one for the Ahooga horn. Because of these unplanned task, I'm slightly behind schedule, but I will have less troubles in the future with my electric devices.




      Copyright ©  2001-2017 Markus Maurer - all rights reserved    |  Last modified: 06.03.2015  |  Print Page